Brass Jewelry Pros and Cons

Brass Jewelry Pros and Cons

brass jewelry pros and cons

Before buying a brass piece of jewelry, read up on the pros and cons of brass. This non-hypoallergenic and hypoallergenic metal is non-toxic, durable, and malleable. However, it tarnishes over time, which may cause allergic reactions in some people. Luckily, there are many ways to solve these problems with brass sealants. Listed below are some of the pros and cons of brass jewelry.

Brass is a non-toxic metal

It is possible to find beautiful brass jewelry with many different designs. Compared to gold, brass is widely available and has a classic vintage look. Other metal objects are also painted in aged brass to give them that look. It is important to note that non-toxic metals like lead and nickel are not good for your jewelry, but brass is a great alternative. Here are three reasons why you should opt for brass as your next metal of choice for jewelry.

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. The proportion of zinc and copper in brass varies, but they are the two most common components. Brass can also contain other metals, such as nickel or lead, if desired. As an added benefit, brass can be worn with any type of jewelry. This makes it a safe and affordable alternative to other metals. But remember that brass can be a little shinier and stronger than copper.

It is non-hypoallergenic

The term “hypoallergenic” is often used to describe hypoallergenic jewelry, but this term is too vague and depends on the severity of your particular allergic reaction. To be certain that an item is hypoallergenic, you must know what metals can cause a reaction and which ones are safe for your skin. This means you should check the metal content in any jewelry item before buying. Here are some important tips to help you identify hypoallergenic jewelry.

When it comes to brass, it is not hypoallergenic. This is because it is an alloy, and alloys contain highly reactive trace metals. These metals react with the body and can cause allergic reactions. People with allergies should avoid wearing brass jewelry, since it can irritate their ears or worsen any existing problems. You should choose hypoallergenic jewelry made of pure non-reactive metals like titanium.

It is malleable

While precious metals are malleable and durable, brass is not. Because it has a low melting point, brass jewelry is prone to damage due to exposure to heat. In addition to causing the item to break, heat can also damage the stones set in the piece. To avoid damaging your jewelry, you should purchase items made of other metals. They are not recommended for jewelry making. However, if you are unable to find the perfect metal, you can always try sellingling them yourself.

Brass is an affordable alternative to pure gold. It is much more malleable than gold and is a popular choice among jewelers. Since brass is a malleable metal, it is often used in intricate lost wax castings. Because of its golden color, brass jewelry can be striking. Furthermore, it is less expensive than gold and can be easily cast by a jeweler. Both modern and historic artists have used brass for casting sculpture. Brass can be worked both hot and cold, allowing for unique designs to be created.

It tarnishes over time

When you wear brass jewelry, you may notice an unsightly green line on your skin. This is because brass oxidizes easily. This process occurs due to oils on your skin and air oxygen. If you have brass jewelry, it is important to clean it regularly to maintain a shiny appearance. Follow these steps to keep your brass jewelry in pristine condition. These tips will help you keep your brass jewelry looking new.

First, make a paste by mixing equal parts of lemon juice and baking soda. The mixture will bubble and fizz when applied to the brass jewelry. Leave the paste for around 15 minutes before rinsing. Rinse thoroughly and dry it with a soft cloth. Repeat this process as needed. If you do not feel like spending a lot of money on a jewelry cleaner, you can also try natural jewelry cleaning agents like lemon juice and salt. These solutions are not abrasive enough to damage the finish of brass jewelry.

It is expensive

Most brass jewelry is made of copper and zinc. Nickel is sometimes added to the alloy, as well. The copper in brass tends to turn skin green, as it reacts with the sweat in the body. With proper care, however, brass jewelry can last for a lifetime. While brass is a highly durable metal, it is not without disadvantages. It tarnishes easily, and can turn a person’s skin green because of the presence of copper chelates.

When it comes to allergies, brass is a serious culprit. It can irritate sensitive skin and can cause rash and itching. In severe cases, it can even lead to blistering. To treat an allergic reaction to brass, you should immediately stop wearing it. For the same reason, you should avoid touching the skin affected by brass jewelry. This metal may also worsen any existing lung conditions. For those with sensitive skin, it is better to avoid brass altogether.

It causes allergic reactions

People who have sensitive skin should avoid purchasing and wearing brass jewelry. This type of metal is notorious for causing allergic reactions in some people. Although the metal is a noble alloy that is resistant to scratching and corrosion, it does cause an allergic reaction in some people. It also turns the epidermis green. To avoid an allergic reaction to brass, you should purchase nickel-free jewelry and consult a dermatologist before wearing brass jewelry.

The metal is commonly coated in sterling silver or gold. Copper is the primary ingredient of brass and tends to turn green with time. However, this color change does not usually spread to the skin. If you have any skin reactions to brass, stop wearing the jewelry immediately and consult your medical practitioner. A skin test can identify which component of the metal is causing your reaction, and you should avoid wearing brass jewelry for as long as possible. However, if the symptoms persist, you should not wear the brass jewelry. If you are still not sure, add a protective cover to it.

Back to blog